Saturday, March 6, 2010

Armory Show

Today the class visited the Armory Show, the premiere event for the viewing (and for the lucky the purchasing) of the hottest contemporary art from around the world. The selections did not disappoint. Located at Pier 92 and 94 on the west side of Manhattan, 167 contemporary dealers, 66 modern dealers and 10 non-profits congregate to display their wears for the New York art community, including collectors, critics, and other art aficionados. From the look of the crowd on this lovely March afternoon, the show is bracing to pass last year’s 56,000 visitors.

The breadth of the work offered was astounding. Gone are the artistic “camps” of the previous century, in which an artist either created abstract or representational art. Today such styles can exist side-by-side in the same gallery, and can even be created by the same artist. From classic minimalist sculpture to playful satires of the work of Degas and Turner, there is something for everyone at this show.

The concept of the Armory Show is interesting. While it is a financially vital event for artists and dealers to gain sales and contacts with collectors, much of the overwhelming crowd is comprised of contemporary art fans who treat the event as an exhibition. Many of the attendees would be just as familiar if observed at the Whitney Biennial occurring uptown.

On a personal note, I appreciated that some of the gallery attendants took time to discuss the art on display with me. While, as a student, I am not currently a potential customer, they treated me as if I one day could be. I will definitely remember these galleries in the future should I ever be capable of collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment